Welcome to the FAQ page - source of information and answers to Frequently Asked Questions.
Table of Content - Click desired topic to view details:
How do I connect to a central Database?
How do I locate the Database folder?
How do I update the CARAT software?
How do I upgrade to CARAT version 7.0?
How do I move the database from an old to a new computer?
How do I change my business name/address?
How do I eMail or fax a Jewelry certificate to my client?
How do I create a digital signature?
How do I backup the database?
Why do I get a Runtime error 6 when printing a certificate?
How do I recover from multiple System Files Are Out of Date errors when installing CARAT?
Why is my printer not working correctly?
What can I do if I get database errors?
What can I do if I accidentally merged the same database twice?
Why is the password-authentication number rejected even though the exact same number worked before?
What is the difference between the Demonstration and the Registered version of CARAT?
What is the difference between the Professional and the Network version of CARAT?
How can I use my business letterhead to print certificates?
Detailed Description - Position desired topic to highlight:
- How do I connect to a central Database?
Use the CARAT Customization program, DATABASE menu, LOCATION function, to point to the location of the database folder. It can be on a server computer, another user computer on the network or any location on the computer you are using.
To accomplish this, the data folder needs to be discoverable through Sharing. You can use simple Windows drive mapping or specify UNC network location directly.
- How do I locate the Database folder?
CARAT data is stored in two databases, in a special DATA folder. To locate the database folder start CARAT, select the DATABASE section and the location will be displayed at the top of the screen. Usually, version 7.0 data folder is C:\CARAT70\DATA (or C:\CARAT60\DATA for version 6.0). Network users may chose any location for their database. Note that you need the entire data folder structure (including sub folders and files) because jewelry photos are stored on disk.
- How do I update the CARAT software?
We periodically post updates to CARAT software for free download to registered users of the current version. Install the latest version following these simple steps:
1. Make a backup of the entire DATA folder structure.
2. Using Windows Control Panel, uninstall CARAT version 7.0.
3. Download and install the latest version from our site. Make sure to select KEEP whenever asked if you want to replace existing files with older an version.
- How do I upgrade to CARAT version 7.0?
Copy the entire database folder structure and files from the source version 6.0 computer and paste it into the database location of the target version 7.0 computer. This should create a C:\CARAT70\DATA folder structure. When you start CARAT, it will perform step one of the conversion (short). Select the Appraise option and CARAT will continue into step to (longer) of the conversion. Notes:
1. Make a backup copy of the data folder structure on both computers.
2. Copy/Paste the data folder above BEFORE registering CARAT. If you have already registered, rename your data folder first (from C:\CARAT70\DATA) then perform the above.
3. For upgrading from an older version of the CARAT database please call us first.
- How do I move the database from an old to a new computer?
Follow the same instructions as upgrade above only your source is a version 7.0 computer (usually C:\CARAT70\DATA).
- How do I change my business name/address?
Use the CARAT Customization program to update your address. You may also use this utility to change many of the other attributes on the program.
- How do I eMail or fax a Jewelry certificate to my client?
The process involves two easy steps:
1. Create an electronic file instead of printing
2. Attach this file to an eMail or fax message
To create an electronic file of the certificate, install a printer driver that will create a PDF (or alike) file instead of printing to the printer. You need to do it once and there are several (including free) printer-drivers on the market that will do the job well (example see www.pdf995.com). When printing a certificate from CARAT, use this printer and save the output to file of your choice. Then, attach the saved file to your eMail/fax message and send it.
- How do I create a digital signature?
Creating a digital signature is an easy two step process: 1. Capture your signature. You can do that by signing on quality paper then taking a digital photo. 2. Create a new log-in account in CARAT and indicate "Digital Signature Available". Point to the file above. Note that you can also use the CARAT Customization program (Customize->Factors->Print) to adjust the size of the signature.
- How do I backup the database?
Follow the instructions above to locate your database folder then use your favorite backup utility to back it up. CARAT provides a quick backup function that will make a copy of your main appraisal database but note that this will not include your customization database nor your jewelry photos.
- Why do I get a runtime error 6 when printing a certificate?
The reason for this is usually memory limitations caused by including a very large jewelry photo. Reduce the size of the photo file by either changing the settings on the camera or editing and saving on the computer. Also, use CARAT Customization and check the Page layout to make sure your border measurements are correct.
- How do I recover from multiple System Files Are Out of Date errors when installing CARAT?
This is an installation problem and the reason and resolution are described in Microsoft's documentation under the following link: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/191096.
- Why is my printer not working correctly?
Make sure the printer is connected and the correct printer drivers installed (try to also print from another software.) Contact your computer supplier or printer vendor if this is not the case. Also, check the computer Display properties to make sure the number of colors used is less than True Colors (32 bit).
- What can I do if I get database errors?
Make sure your disk drive is not corrupted (try to run a disk diagnostics/repair program such as ScanDisk.) You may also try to export your photos out of the database and run the database repair and compact functions, available in the Database section of CARAT.
- What can I do if I accidentally appended the same database twice?
Appending the same database twice could create duplicate clients and appraisals. Use the Delete Duplicates function, in the Database section, to remove such duplicates. CARAT will compare and eliminate Client records (with associated appraisals) that match exactly on Name and record's unique created-date stamp, leaving only the oldest occurrence of the client in the database.
- Why is the password-authentication number rejected even though the exact same number worked before?
You need to purchase a separate license for each computer on which CARAT is installed (or reinstalled after a disk crash etc.) Print and fax the registration form (2nd screen into the program) to us so we can generate your unique number.
- What is the difference between the Demonstration and the Registered version of CARAT?
The demonstration version of CARAT is complete and identical to the production version, so you can test and experiment with all the options provided by CARAT. The only difference is that the program will print the word VOID on all printed output.
- What is the difference between the Professional and the Network version of CARAT?
Both versions of CARAT provide the same level of functionality. However, with the network version, you can access the same database from multiple computers thus sharing the information. Also, with the network version you can create as many databases as needed, which is a useful feature for professional appraisers that serve multiple store and need to keep the information separated.
- How can I use my business letterhead to print certificates?
A powerful (yet easy to use) customization utility is available with CARAT through which you can tailor the software to your needs and taste. Use the Layout option of the customization utility to instruct CARAT not to print software letterhead and set your paper top margin appropriately (through the Page option) to accomplish the above.